SACRED FRESCOES AND PAINTINGS IN SAN LORENZO DORSINO
CHURCHES FRESCOED BY THE BASCHENIS
The churches of San Giorgio in Dorsino, and San Rocco e San Sebastiano in San Lorenzo are decorated inside with very colourful frescoes by the Baschenis, highly skilled itinerant fresco painters from Valle di Averara in Bergamot. The church of San Giorgio in the main square of Dorsino dates back to the 1200s and combines Romanesque and late Gothic architectural features. In 1500 the central vault and right wall were frescoed by Cristoforo II Baschenis. The vault shows a Blessing Christ with the four Evangelists and the four Doctors of the Church on the severies. The walls have depictions of Saint George and the Dragon, Michael the Archangel, and Saint Martin giving his cape to the poor. The church of San Rocco e San Sebastiano, in the Pergnano parish of San Lorenzo in Banale, was built in the second half of the 1400s and extended towards the end of the following century. In the centre of the vault is a depiction of Christ Pantocrator and on the severies the evangelists and the Doctors of the Church in pairs, painted by Cristoforo II Baschenis. The same artist also painted the impressive Crucifixion and Last Supper that lend colour to the east and north walls.
A curiosity: the Last Supper fresco in the church of San Rocco e San Sebastiano has thirteen apostles. Some believe that the intruder is Cristoforo, the painter, while others say it is Mattia, the disciple chosen to replace the traitor Judas after the ascension of Christ to heaven.
PIEVE DI SANTA MARIA ASSUNTA IN TAVODO AND THE HOUSE OF PRAYER
The Pieve di Santa Maria Assunta parish church stands on the edge of the small settlement of Tavodo. It is one of the oldest in the Giudicarie Esteriori valleys. The lower part of the walls are in natural stone with a 1200s bell tower likewise in reddish and grey stone. According to scholars, the bell tower is the most attractive and best preserved of all the Romanesque examples in Trentino. The church was demolished and reconstructed in the early 1500s, acquiring its current Baroque style over the centuries. The chapels house some interesting paintings. The most outstanding is the main altarpiece depicting the assumption of Maria (about 1766-70) by Giovanni Giacomo Figari, considered one of the most interesting 1600s paintings in the Giudicarie valleys. The church also houses a large organ, a real masterpiece of pipe organ art, constructed by the Bergamot Capuchin friar, Damiamo Damiani, in 1831. Since 1982 the maintenance of the church has been entrusted to the Fraternità di Gesù Risorto, resident in the adjacent 1500s rectory, which has been transformed into a House of Prayer and is open to individuals in search of a place that facilitates reflection
A curiosity: the church is a marvellous viewpoint with the entire amphitheatre of the Brenta Dolomites spread out across the skyline, a clear display of God's work.
SANTUARIO DELLA MADONNA DI CARAVAGGIO IN DEGGIA
A curiosity: the Sanctuary has been the object of numerous pilgrimages for over a hundred and twenty years, especially on the day of its celebration at the end of May.
THE CHURCH OF SANT’ANTONIO ABATE IN DOLASO
Dolaso is one of the seven "villas" (parishes) that make up the village of San Lorenzo in Banale. Each villa has its own church. The Dolaso church is dedicated to Sant’Antonio Abate, one of the saints dearest to the farming world, often invoked to protect the health of animals, and the patron saint of the parish. The church is almost six hundred years old with a single nave and groin vault. It houses a large painted and gilded wooden altar from the early 1500s, one of the few altars of that period to survive the Baroque era.
A curiosity: the little church square is an excellent viewpoint with a panorama extending all the way to the Tre Cime del Bondone mountains overlooking Trento.
Discover the fascinating story of the parish priest "Don Taialacqua" and the great intuition he had